At some point in your business, you will need help. That person shouldn't be a dummy that eats Tide Pods.
From experience, let me tell you that the search to find good, reliable help is a job for Jesus. You'll often find yourself going through resumes and cover letters that really do look like they've come from people who live on a diet of Tide Pods.
Some of their "qualifications" are ridiculous like their ability to:
- Use a laptop
- Use the internet
- Type 7 words per minute, and
- Use those complex keystrokes like Ctrl+F
As busy business people, wading through these resumes from peeps who couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions on the heel wastes our time.
Before you ever get a single resume in your inbox, I've got some tips for you and where you can find legitimate help.
Before you hire a virtual assistant
- Make a list of duties you will expect your new assistant to take care of.
- Document how the work is to be completed. If you can create walk-through screencast videos or write out the steps, you'll be able to have those in place should you need to hire another assistant later.
- Pick the tools you'll use to coordinate.
Create A Job Description
- Make a list of the duties you want the assistant to take care of.
- What apps/software will they be using?
- What skills and experience do they need to have?
- How many hours will you estimate that you will need them to work?
- Language requirements.
- What references do you need about their work?
- Decide on how much you'll be paying them.
Where to find a virtual assistant
You could do a search on Mr. Google, but you will likely end up with 96% Tide Pod applicants in your inbox. Instead, you should check out Worldwide 101.
I had a great conversation with Audrey at Worldwide 101. What is different with their company is that they actually have assistants that have worked with interior designers. They can help you with:
- Coordinating with your clients
- Initiating and ordering products
- Communicating with vendors
- Scheduling shipping and deliveries
- Liaising with photographers and design shows
- Following through on damage claims
- Managing your ordering
- Bookkeeping software
- Social media content creation + scheduling
- Wordpress Admin
- Email marketing
Their assistants are based in the US and you'll get personally matched with with an assistant that you vibe with. Best part? Their assistants have at least 7 years experience in administration and project management.
Audrey was kind enough to share with me a discount code for you. You'll get 20% off the first month of the plan you choose when you use my code: AW20 at this link.